Monday, July 22, 2013

Negative Integers


I feel that negative integers are confusing for many people. As a teacher I am sure it is hard to introduce the topic after years of teaching students positive integers. 

I would say the best way to introduce negative integers would be to use a number line. Students that use a number line are able to actually count down or up and see the negative numbers.I have heard that using chips of different colors to signify positive and negative numbers help out as visual aids. When I become a teacher I hope to introduce negative integers by using these visual aids below.





















 Knowing how to add and subtract integers correctly involves knowing the following rules from the site Math is Fun. The site explains a great way to introduce negative integers as well as how to add and subtract positive and negative integers.


Rule Example
Two like signs become a positive sign +(+) 3+(+2) = 3 + 2 = 5
−(−) 6−(−3) = 6 + 3 = 9
Two unlike signs become a negative sign +(−) 7+(−2) = 7 2 = 5
−(+) 8−(+2) = 8 2 = 6
I don't know if there is any right way to add or subtract integers but I have learned an odd way to subtract negative integers. For example if someone asks what is -9 - 3, I just add them and then put a negative sign on the front. The only problem with the way I do it is it is hard to explain why to someone who might be learning how to add or subtract negative integers. After time and examples it is quite easy to master.

No comments:

Post a Comment