Monday, July 22, 2013

Memorization of Place Value

Place value I personally think it is quite easy for me. In all honesty I think it is all about memorization, and that is my strong suit. Going through school I don't recall having a big lesson on place value. Once place value is learned I think games are a fun way to keep students on top of their knowledge related to place value. A site that has fun games related to place value that I found entertaining is; Place Value Games.   

Since this topic isn't really that fun it can be made more exciting. I love making songs out of something that I need to memorize. The song below is catchy and may help students memorize the ones, tens, and hundreds place.
Ones, Tens, Hundreds Song

Visual aids such as blocks helped me in school understand place value a bit more. Also money is helped out as well. Ten pennies turn into one dime worth ten cents. Ten dimes are worth one hundred cents. When students see that place value can help them in their future they might be more willing to want to learn the concept. For a good tutorial on place value watch the following video.
Place Value Video 

When you get into standard form and expanded form that is when the teaching gets a little more difficult for students to understand. When students get understanding of that it goes a lot more smoother.

No comments:

Post a Comment